Below is a Moving to Australia Checklist (Pre Move Planner) we have put together to help you organize and plan your move. You can download a printable version here - Moving to Australia CheckList.pdf.
4 weeks before you move:
- Ensure passports, visas and any travel bookings are finalized.
- Contact Post office and request change of address forms for redirection of mail.
- Contact your doctors, dentist, schools and request all records be sent out to you. (Tip: Ask Doctors and Dentists for referrals to reputable Health professionals in your new location).
- If you havent already started, now would be a good time to start discarding unwanted items. You may want to consider having placing an ad for a garage sale.
- Advise your bank and credit card companies to arrange transfer of funds and/or termination of your account.
- Notify the following departments/groups letting them know of your move - Department of Inland Revenue (I.R.D) - Electoral Registrar - Your local council - Police Department if you hold firearms licence - Your solicitors - Your church or clubs you belong too - Publications to which you subscribe (cancel or transfer subscription) - Friends or Family
- Confirm your removal date with Ausmove. And any other aspects of your move packing, storage, insurance, documentation, your pets etc.
2 weeks before you move:
- Ensure to discontinue the following: - Milk/bread delivery - Newspaper delivery - Telephone – final reading also - Gas and electricity - Water services
- If your plants won't survive relocation give them away to friends or neighbours.
- Organise someone to look after your children and pets on the day of the move.
- Return all items burrowed and collect items on loan.
- Arrange for the cancellation of services such as electricity, gas, phone and internet.
- Arrange for disposal of anything not sold at your moving sale.
- Dispose of items that cannot be moved, such as inflammable liquids.
- Transfer prescriptions and be sure you have an adequate supply of medications on hand.
- Assemble a file folder of information to leave for the new owner of your home.
- Take animals to vet for immunization if necessary.
- Arrange travelers cheques.
- Personal accident and medical insurance arranged.
- Inoculations for yourself and family done.
- Power of Attorney arranged.
- International drivers licence arranged.
- Collect any laundry from drycleaners.
- Remove all food from the refrigerator, and defrost the freezer.
- Disconnect electrical appliances.
- Empty the fuel and oil from mowers.
- Empty gas bottles.
- Clean out medicine cabinet and dispose in a safe way. I.e. via the chemist – unwanted medicines.
- Have your T.V. aerial taken down and dismantled.
- Anchor the drum of the automatic washing machine – please consult your local appliance dealer.
- Arrange an easy meal for moving day with disposable utensils, or eat out.
- Disposal of, or arrange with Ausmove to store unwanted furniture.
- Return any borrowed items and garden tools
- Set aside jewelry, money, valuable documents, travel documents, stamp collection, to take in your possession. Don't forget to books and games for the children.
- Lock up pets if required
- Arrange for someone to mind the children on move day
On move day
- Be sure someone is at the old house to answer questions.
- Anything left behind, check prior to Ausmove leaving the garage, under the house or in unused cupboards?
- No clothes at the dry cleaners, goods at repairers
- Keys surrendered
- Has your new house been cleaned prior to moving in – its easier to do when its empty Ausmove can arrange this if required.
- Ensure fridge/freezer cleaned – wipe out using a damp cloth with vanilla essence, blow dry especially corners, put silica gel into fresh a compartment or four to five tea bags which will soak up any moisture and will ensure it won’t go mouldy.
- Don’t place breakables, liquids or heavy items in drawers
- Avoid overloading drawers with linen etc, and don’t forget to check that all items have been moved.